Thursday, April 20, 2006

Eternal Love.


I found what true, long lasting love was the other day. I finally understand what the true essence of a marriage is about. I saw it. The joy and heartache that comes along with it, and the lasting legacy it leaves behind.

As some of you know that this past December, I lost my father. A few days ago, I lost a dear Aunt. She was my favorite of all my aunts. Kindhearted. Warm. Happy. Caring. Loving and whole heartily genuine. Never did I feel as close to someone other than my own mother, sister and the Songbird, than I did with her. Never did I ever such and outpouring of love than when I was around her. She passed in her sleep at her daughters’ home. They came up from Mexico to visit my cousin and her family for Easter.

My mother told me that when she saw my uncle, he was devastated. He kept saying, “Why did she leave me. How could she have done this? I am supposed to go before her. I loved her so much. She could have survived with out me. I can’t live with out her. She was my whole life”. When I heard that my heart went back to the day I received the news of my father. My uncle loved her so much, that when my mother, cousin and he went to funeral home to make arrangements he took her wedding ring and placed it on his finger. He did not want to leave her side. There is a funny side to this tragedy, like any Shakespearian play. The trouble is in how they where going to transport my aunt’s body back to Mexico. My uncle had already purchased a family plot years ago, so there was a place to for her to rest eternally. The funeral home, which she was at, could not transport her back home. They told my uncle they could only go as far as the U.S. border. My mother asked what else could be done, to which the young lady said, “Well, we could put her in a cardboard box and he can drive her back him self.” She was serious. She was not joking. To which my uncle said (in Spanish)”That’s fine. She could fit in the van. I’m sure that she wouldn’t want to ride with strangers”.

He is a simple man. To this comment I began to laugh, which soon turned to tears for my aunt and uncle. He loved her so much that he was willing to drive her back to Mexico himself. He didn’t want her to ride with strangers. He wanted to make sure that she was still by his side. Granted, he was in a state of shock. The love of his life, the woman he married only after knowing her less than a month. She was gone.

The Songbird came to me after my mother told me of the days events. We sat alone on the patio of my mothers’ house. I recounted to her the events, to which I made her a deal. I would quit smoking, get back to running, and get healthy so I could live a long and loving life with her. I now understand what true love is, and I have it.
I love her so much that I too would say yes to a cardboard box and drive her home with me, so that she could be by my side. We both cried.

So today I’ve decided to share this blog with her so she could see again that there is nothing in this world that means more to me than she does. My heart has gone through so much these past few months, and she had been there every step of the way. I could not have asked for a better partner in life than her. My eternal love.

4 Comments:

Blogger Homosexual Suspect said...

I've been reading this blog for a while, and I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am to hear about the loss of your Aunt.

Take care.

4:13 PM  
Blogger sxuly yrs said...

Ah, that was so sweet! I am sorry about your aunt. That made me tear up..oh, to be that in love!

hugs~
andi

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babe, you made me cry. I would put you in the box too and drive you. Love you the mostest!!!!!!!
Songbird

9:04 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

RSA, that is a beautiful heart warming post. May you and songbird share many days together.

You sound perfectly matched.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home